Remedies for Violation of HIPAA Privacy Rights and Medical Confidentiality - Part 1

Friday, September 28, 2012

By George F. Indest III, J.D., M.P.A., LL.M., Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Health Law

I receive many questions and e-mails about possible violations of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act's (HIPAA) Privacy Regulations and Security Regulations, and breaches of confidentiality of medical records and medical information.  I will attempt to explain and clarify this issue a little in this short blog.

More detailed information on HIPAA Privacy Regulations and Security Regulations, can be found at:

There is no private cause of action allowed to an individual to sue for a violation of the federal HIPAA or any of its regulations.  This means you do not have a right to sue based on a violation of HIPAA by itself.  However, you may have a right to sue based on state law.  See below.

1.  File a HIPAA Privacy Complaint with the Office of Civil Rights (OCR).

As a first step, you may desire to file a HIPAA Privacy Complaint with the federal government.  These are usually required to be filed within 180 days of the event (there are limited exceptions).  They are usually all taken and fully investigated.  If it is an egregious or a repeat violation, it may even result in an investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and criminal charges being filed against those responsible.  However, in most cases if there is a valid complaint, the federal government will assess administrative fines against those responsible.  In almost all cases, a report will be made back to you of what is found and what actions have been taken.

If you decide to file a HIPAA Privacy Complaint, this is done with the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).  You may do this online.  The Complaint form is found at:

If you follow this process and receive a finding that verifies the violation, you may find it easier to retain an attorney to take your case.  Please note, there is only a very short period of time in which you are allowed to file such a complaint after you have discovered it.  So be sure to do this right away.

2.  File a Complaint Against the Physician Involved with the Florida Department of Health (DOH).

The Florida Department of Health (DOH) licenses all physicians, nurses and health professionals in the state of Florida.  It is also responsible for investigating complaints against them.  The various professional boards (Board of Medicine, Board of Nursing, etc.) are under the DOH.

If there was a violation or breach of patient confidentiality or medical records confidentiality, this may also be a violation of the state's laws on patient or medical records confidentiality. This is true in most states, not just Florida.

If there was a violation or breach of patient confidentiality by a licensed health care professional, you may also file a complaint with the appropriate state licensing board or agency about this, as well.  In Florida, for example, if a licensed health professional did this, you may decide to report this to the Florida DOH.  If they are licensed in a different state, you may have to follow that state’s procedure for filing a complaint.

For Florida, you may call the Florida DOH at (888) 419-3456 or (850) 245-4339, or you may use the online complaint form found at:

The Florida DOH will investigate the complaint and will usually have an expert witness review it.  If there is a finding against the physician (or other licensed health professional) you can ask for a copy of the DOH expert's report.  This may result in your obtaining a free expert witness review of the case.  The expert witness might even agree later to testify as an expert witness if there is a civil lawsuit filed (however, this is something your attorney would have to work out with the expert witness).

3.  File Grievance or Report to Third Party Payer (Medicare, Tricare, VA, Insurance Co.).

If you are a Medicare patient, TRICARE/CHAMPUS patient, Veterans Administration (VA) patient, Public Health Service patient, or military patient, you may also report this to the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) of that specific agency.

If you are a member of a managed care plan or have health insurance, you may desire to file a member grievance or complaint with the insurance company.  Every physician who accepts Medicare is subject to the Medicare Program's peer review system.  You may file a complaint directly with Medicare and ask for it to be reviewed by the Medicare peer review program.

More on HIPPA Violations to Come.

In a future blog, I will continue to explain and clarify HIPPA violations.

Contact a Health Law Attorney Experienced in Defending HIPAA Complaints and Violations.
The attorneys of The Health Law Firm represent physicians, medical groups, nursing homes, home health agencies, pharmacies, hospitals and other healthcare providers and institutions in investigating and defending alleged HIPAA complaints and violations and in preparing Corrective Action Plans (CAPs).
For more information about HIPAA violations, electronic health records or corrective action plans (CAPs) please visit our website at or call (407) 331-6620 or (850) 439-1001.

About the Author: George F. Indest III, J.D., M.P.A., LL.M., is Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Health Law.  He is the President and Managing Partner of The Health Law Firm, which has a national practice.  Its main office is in the Orlando, Florida, area.  The Health Law Firm, 1101 Douglas Ave., Altamonte Springs, FL 32714, Phone:  (407) 331-6620.

Tag Words: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, HIPAA, HIPAA audits, HIPAA audit protocol, HIPAA compliance, medical records, medical practice audit, records request, defense attorneys, lawyers, legal representation, audit attorneys, health care audits, breach of patient confidentiality
"The Health Law Firm" is a registered fictitious business name of George F. Indest III, P.A. - The Health Law Firm, a Florida professional service corporation, since 1999.
Copyright © 1996-2012 The Health Law Firm. All rights reserved.



Response to: Remedies for Violation of HIPAA Privacy Rights and Medical Confidentiality - Part 1
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
Cheryl Post says:

Hello, I filled out an application for Snelling & Snelling in Panama City, Florida. Since I refused to fill out the Medical Form, the receptionist informed me that I could not be hired. I have worked in hospitals for years and have been told that an employer cannot refuse to hire you on the basis of not revealing your medical history. Is this correct? Thank you

Response to: Remedies for Violation of HIPAA Privacy Rights and Medical Confidentiality - Part 1
Monday, February 24, 2014
Michael Steinkirchner says:

This questionairre may act as both a medical clearance form which lists things like allergies and medical conditions which must be on file for emergency situations where the worksite employer will not have the information & also to determine eligiblity for employment in specific positions which have B.F.O.Q.s. Known as bona fide occupational qualifications (BFOQ) in US employment law and bona fide occupational requirements (BFOR) in Canadian employment law, there are some select, few qualities or an attributes that employers are allowed to consider when making decisions on the hiring and retention of employees—qualities that, when considered in other contexts, would constitute discrimination and, thus, in violation of civil rights employment law. These include if medical conditions would disqualify the individual automatically from consideration. Even our military, fire service and law enforcement use BFOQs in determining eligiblity. The agency may require an applicant to p

Like this blog? Add your public comments:

Items in bold indicate required information.